PDA

View Full Version : Profilux, DIY LED, and effects ...

dipan
29.11.2009, 01:51
I know that the Profilux can simulate lightning and give moonlight effects either via a SimuL stick or spot. It can also apparently do these effects via RS232 control of AquaIllumination LED lights.

Can it do the same with dimmable DIY LED's via the 0-10V interfaces?

Matthias
01.12.2009, 08:31
you can connect any device with a 0-10V-interface

aqua_digital
02.12.2009, 16:01
Matthias

He is asking if you can also create thunderstorm effect with DIY LED connected to the 1-10V line, or is there some special driver inside the simu sticks that create this?

Matthias
02.12.2009, 17:38
Matthias

He is asking if you can also create thunderstorm effect with DIY LED connected to the 1-10V line, or is there some special driver inside the simu sticks that create this?

no, this is not possible with a DIY lamp

jdrabek
18.01.2010, 04:54
no, this is not possible with a DIY lamp

But we can have a DIY LED light use the moon phase funciton correct? If we can, can I use the same light to perform both the moon phases, and my night to day and day to night transitions?

Can you elaborate on why we cant use a DIY LED light to perform a thunderstorm? Is it a matter of using a LED driver that supports that type of function?

plankton99
02.02.2010, 06:29
But we can have a DIY LED light use the moon phase funciton correct? If we can, can I use the same light to perform both the moon phases, and my night to day and day to night transitions?

Can you elaborate on why we cant use a DIY LED light to perform a thunderstorm? Is it a matter of using a LED driver that supports that type of function?

Matthias: what is the answer to jdrabek's question above.

jdrabek
03.02.2010, 01:17
The moonlight function I was able to figure out. It was rather stupid on my part. I confused the 1-10 volt interface with illumination channels, and they are not the same.

As far as why we cant get thunderstorm efects I dont know. I am sure my LED driver could do this as long as there was code to support it.

dipan
15.02.2010, 21:20
I hope that full simulation functions, including lightning storms, could be incorporated into future software revisions. Many DIY LED setups out there with even more coming. I think this would be a great feature to incorporate. Hopefully it is technically possible. The Profilux is capable of such enormous control over the DIY LED's otherwise and this would be a great added feature.

aqua_digital
15.02.2010, 21:28
The software is already there, profiLux have done their part, what is missing is the LED's being made by DIY or third party do not support the protocols that GHL use to make these functions happen.

So its up to the DIYers to produce theire own driver, interface, and then i am sure GHL would open source the protocols ;)

boboxx
15.02.2010, 22:47
True, but they could have done it more like a tunze comunication and have the commands and the random illumination level be set from the Profilux (alternating the values of the 1-10v)... so this way there would be no custom driver to develop and we could pick standard dimable drivers off the shelf.

Mabe there should be a new option with a check box to enable such a function... DIY LED is getting pretty big

Matthias
16.02.2010, 08:22
maybe I am juust missing here something - ProfiLux outputs the brightness signals over a standard 1-10V-interface and most LED drivers have exactly this interface

where is the problem?

maybe you are talking about flashes - this will not be possible because third-party hardware doesnt't support this - for this reason we developed our Simu

boboxx
16.02.2010, 12:00
yes I was talking about the flashes. why do you say this is not possible? it would just be rapin up and down the controle line (1-10v) really fast?

Matthias
16.02.2010, 12:19
technically not possible - we are talking about ms and I doubt that a standard LED driver will follow the signal so fast

jdrabek
16.02.2010, 20:13
I thought the meanwell drivers were also used for moving signs. I have seen moving signs flash using led's.

boboxx
16.02.2010, 20:46
There might be a few ms delay from the start to finish, but the reaction is pretty fast, fast enough to do a "fake" thunderstorm.

It should be easily tested if the L port would be configured as a current pump and mode set as Random. I’m still waiting for my driver but I will be testing it for sure.

BigAl07
09.08.2010, 13:25
There might be a few ms delay from the start to finish, but the reaction is pretty fast, fast enough to do a "fake" thunderstorm.

It should be easily tested if the L port would be configured as a current pump and mode set as Random. I’m still waiting for my driver but I will be testing it for sure.

Personally I'd like a little more "lag/delay" between th ON and OFF cycle. I was just in a massive thunderstorm in Hilton Head SC on the beach and I took notice to how the majority of real "Lightning" lasts longer than the flash we have on our systems.

Tunzer
10.08.2010, 04:10
Thunderstom work on Meanwell driver?

GHL Support
12.08.2010, 08:14
If you mean if the LEDs can flash like a Simu, then the answer is no, look at Matthias' comment:
"maybe you are talking about flashes - this will not be possible because third-party hardware doesnt't support this - for this reason we developed our Simu"

If you mean if you can enable the simulation "thunderstorm" on the illumination channel belonging to the LEDs, then yes, that's possible - the LEDs will then darken during a thunderstorm.

berden
26.09.2010, 23:56
maybe a can ask a very direct question, how the flash signal is send to the simul, by the 10v or by another pin the interface cable, with this information, i will be able to simulate it with a strobe light. Thanks,