PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Box and Powerbar 6D PAB firmware

CaptCrash
03.02.2016, 04:42
Where is the firmware for the Expansion Box and Powerbar 6D PAB firmware?
Have these been moved into the GCC download, have they been forgotten, whats up?

Can we please have these put onto the download section or identified clearly so customers can find them.

It would also be great if all of the older firmwares are returned to the download site, so that in a situation where someone has an issue with upgrades or is simply running an older firmware for what ever reason, that they can get their equipment working again without the delay of sending emails to GHL in the hope of getting files.

Why would you make it so hard for you customers to use the equipment they have invested in?

In my case, Im looking to upgrade everything that is out of date, but I have no ability to see what the current versions of firmware are for the powerbar or the expansion box.

Matthias
04.02.2016, 13:56
I am still adding files to the new download center

the PAB-devices firmware files have been added today

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/

Matthias
04.02.2016, 14:01
the next version of GCC also includes all firmware files

CaptCrash
04.02.2016, 15:25
Matthias,

Thanks thats great.
Will you also be listing the older firmwares?

By the way, the new download option is much better than the previous one.

The ability to sort by date is really helpful. Thank you for getting that put into the site, it makes the task of finding firmware changes so much simpler.

Well done.

CaptCrash
05.02.2016, 08:44
Something that may be an improvement for the download site, is to list the size of the firmware not the ZIP file.
That way people can trust the firmware size and in situations where a browser unzips the files automatically then it is a reference for it being trustworthy.

I noticed that the files I downloaded were different sizes to those listed. It turned out to be due to the file sizes being ZIP's on the download page.

Mac OS X, Windows 10 and various other OS's will now automatically extract the Zip files or browse into them without showing the user.

In my example, the ExpansionBox_V108.mhx is 85Kb. The download site lists it as 29.55kB, so it raises the question, is the file correct.

Matthias
05.02.2016, 16:13
we will only update older firmware if it is neccessary, e.g. if the next firmware is still BETA

to the file size
I am afraid we can't change this, the download plugin does this automatically
but all firmware files are checked by GCC before an update is performed

holger
07.02.2016, 20:51
the next version of GCC also includes all firmware files

does it mean, that this also includes the firmware files for the powerbar pab, the touch and so on?
And, by the way, where is the firmware history file? Could not find it at all.
Greatings
Holger

CaptCrash
08.02.2016, 04:20
we will only update older firmware if it is neccessary, e.g. if the next firmware is still BETA

to the file size
I am afraid we can't change this, the download plugin does this automatically
but all firmware files are checked by GCC before an update is performed

Then how about posting the files in a non zipped format.

1. The file date and time will be that of the firmware not of some intermediatory file
2. Customers will be able to verify the file size and date of the actual firmware
3. Static compression can be enabled on your server if it is not already to deliver the files in a compressed manner (achieving the same thing as zipping them)
4. A step can be reduced from the workflow of both GHL and your customers, so your firmware files don't need to be zipped

From a security point of view you are creating a bad situation, where by the customers ability to validate files is taken away.
Is this really the security stance GHL wants to provide to its customers, for them to just assume that a file is correct?

diverdutch
11.02.2016, 04:52
I agree here... as win10 already gives a certificate and security warning when downloading files from download section.

Then how about posting the files in a non zipped format.

1. The file date and time will be that of the firmware not of some intermediatory file
2. Customers will be able to verify the file size and date of the actual firmware
3. Static compression can be enabled on your server if it is not already to deliver the files in a compressed manner (achieving the same thing as zipping them)
4. A step can be reduced from the workflow of both GHL and your customers, so your firmware files don't need to be zipped

From a security point of view you are creating a bad situation, where by the customers ability to validate files is taken away.
Is this really the security stance GHL wants to provide to its customers, for them to just assume that a file is correct?