PDA

View Full Version : Water Change Programming Help

sphelps
09.11.2009, 01:07
Hello I'm looking for a solution.

The aquarium has two water sources:
1) Fresh water top off (socket x)
2) Saturated salt water top off (socket y)

There is a pump on timer A which removes water from the tank daily

I have a conductivity probe, I originally had it setup as follows:

Socket x = Programmable Logic - Water 1 AND Conductivity Decrease
Socket y = Programmable Logic - Water 1 AND Conductivity Increase

However if setup this way and conductivity is at nominal value nothing happens (top off doesn't activate).

Is there another alternative? Preferably one which works with the float and will not activate socket x and y together (same time).

Also if possible can the pump on Timer A be deactivated if an alarm is activated? If salt supply runs out I don't want the pump to continue removing water until salt supply is refreshed and alarm reset.

FYI I'm using Profilux II controller with most recent firmware.

Thanks!!

sphelps
09.11.2009, 20:21
OK I think I got it figured out but if someone with more experience could confirm no errors will result from this it would be much appreciated.

Programmable Logic A = Water 1 AND Conductivity Increase
Programmable Logic B = NOT Conductivity Increase
Programmable Logic C = Programmable Logic B AND Water 1

Socket x = Programmable Logic C
Socket y= Programmable Logic A

For the pump I did this:

Programmable Logic D = General Alarm OR Conductivity Alarm
Programmable Logic E = Timer i AND Programmable Logic D[Inverse]
Socket pump = Programmable Logic E

I'm hoping the results are as follows:
If conductivity is below nominal value - saturated saltwater top off
If conductivity is above or equal to nominal value - fresh water top off

Pump works off timer i but deactivated if either level alarm or conductivity alarm is activated and will not run until alarm(s) is reset.

Hookup
14.01.2010, 23:26
Do you have a level sensor in the mix? I would be worried about having a demand for water, hypersalinity or RO/DI, and not having the space in the sump to hold the water...

Sorry, I have not had time to program this for myself yet, but you are doing exactly what I plan... just without a level sensor in the mix.

sphelps
15.01.2010, 15:42
I have one level sensor in the mix which is in the sump and controls the top off. When sump level drops the tank is topped off with saturated salt water or fresh water dependent upon tank salinity.

I have 2 main solenoids connected to a constant supply of RO water. One solenoid simply supplies fresh water to the sump the other sends fresh water to an inline 30 gallon tank which is full of saturated saltwater. The 30 gallon tank has an overflow in it and as fresh water enters one side of the tank, saturated salt water overflows from the other side which is then sent to the sump (gravity feed).

The system changes a small amount of water daily rather than larger amounts less often. This prevents large amounts of saturated salt water from introduced into the system. If tank salinity gets too high or low the water change system is disabled until salinity returns to normal range.

I've also installed a third solenoid valve inline and before both main solenoids. This is a safety solenoid which activates with either main valve and will prevent disaster if one solenoid valve some how manages to fail in on position (highly unlikely).

So far the system is working very well, completely automatic. All you have to do is add salt to the 30 gallon tank every couple months. It will hold 150 gallons worth of salt and the controller sets an alarm when the salt supply is low so even if you forget you will get reminded and the system will not continue to change water unless salt is added.