PDA

View Full Version : Possible to use a broadband over power line for PAB between profilux and the expansio

houman_hashemi
12.11.2015, 11:51
Hello,
I have actually in one room of my appartment one aquarium controlled by the profilux 3.1Nex.
I have a second aquarium not controlled by the profilux.
As I apreciate a lot the comfort and security provided by the profilux, I would like to control also the second aquarium with my same profilux.
I saw that you provided recently a new expansion box which will fit all the need of my aquarium.
the only point is I will need to connect the expansion box to the profilux and the two aquarium are in two separate room.
As the connection between the expansion box and the profilux is done by a PAB cable, I wanted to know if I will be able to use a broadband over power line ?

For instanc ethis would work for linking the PAB and the profilux?:
http://www.amazon.fr/Netgear-XAVB5421-100FRS-adaptateurs-filtr%C3%A9e-Ethernet/dp/B00P0XRKOQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447268402&sr=8-1&keywords=cpl
Thanks for your answer.

CaptCrash
12.11.2015, 12:46
That will not work. The PAB cable must connect directly between the PAB devices.
You would need to run PAB cable.

houman_hashemi
12.11.2015, 13:59
That will not work. The PAB cable must connect directly between the PAB devices.
You would need to run PAB cable.

Ok & Thanks for the answer.
I'll see if I can find a way to bring the cable physically between the two room.
Is there any lenght limitation for this PAB cable ?
I'll need probably 15 meters cable to do the path.

CaptCrash
12.11.2015, 14:06
15 meters is not a problem, I use a 20m cable between my expansion box and p3.
I think 100m is the max length of the entire PAB bus (not just a single cable), but Im not 100% on that part. Hopefully GHL can confirm

Vinny
12.11.2015, 18:49
Hi,

Yes a PAB cable must be used to connect your P3.1ex to the EXB2. Max length is 100m.

houman_hashemi
12.11.2015, 18:59
Ok & thanks.

houman_hashemi
12.11.2015, 20:54
Can I ask another question: I would like to know the advantages of the Extension box2 compared to the previous model?
I can by in my aquarium dealer, the expansion box 1 at a better price that the Extension box 2. So I need to decide which one worth more.
Thanks

CaptCrash
13.11.2015, 02:38
Can I ask another question: I would like to know the advantages of the Extension box2 compared to the previous model?
I can by in my aquarium dealer, the expansion box 1 at a better price that the Extension box 2. So I need to decide which one worth more.
Thanks
This thread has the information you are looking for http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/showthread.php?10607-The-new-Expansion-Box-2&highlight=expansion

CaptCrash
13.11.2015, 02:42
Hi,

Yes a PAB cable must be used to connect your P3.1ex to the EXB2. Max length is 100m.

Hi Vinny,

Is the maximum length of each cable 100m
eg. PL3 -> 100m cable -> expansion box -> 100m cable -> powerbar. 200m + devices
If so is there a total maximum length?

Or is the maximum length of all of the cables combined 100m
e.g. PL3 -> 95m cable -> expansion box -> 2m cable -> powerboat, 100m including devices

thanks

Vinny
13.11.2015, 16:40
Hi,

The maximum distance between devices is 100m.

CaptCrash
14.11.2015, 07:26
Hi,

The maximum distance between devices is 100m.

Vinny,
What is the maximum length of the PAB bus for all devices?

Someone I know has set up a large coral holding facility with 5 x 60m runs of trays (10 systems, 2 per row) that they would like to monitor and automate. I have been helping them come up with some configurations options.
They would like to run controllable LED lighting along the length as well as monitor power draw and dose to each of the seperate systems (two per row) and as such there is a need to place an expansion box at each end a row plus one in the middle.
note: Most likely centrally mounted power hub PAD 6D would be used rather than powerbar, but other than that what follows is representative.

The minimal component layout is as follows

Row 1 PL3.1Tex -> 2m cable -> PAB Doser -> 2m cable -> PAB PowerBar -> 30m cable -> ExpansionBox -> 2m Cable -> PAB PowerBar -> 30m cable -> PAB Doser -> 2m cable -> PAB PowerBar -> 2m Cable -> ExpansionBox -> 80m Cable to Row 2
Row 2 Expansion box -> 2m cable -> PAB Doser -> 2m cable -> PAB PowerBar -> 30m cable -> ExpansionBox -> 2m Cable -> PAB PowerBar -> 30m cable -> PAB Doser -> 2m cable -> PAB PowerBar -> 2m cable -> ExpansionBox -> 80m Cable to Row 3
Row 3 Expansion box -> 2m cable -> PAB Doser -> 2m cable -> PAB PowerBar -> 30m cable -> ExpansionBox -> 2m Cable -> PAB PowerBar -> 30m cable -> PAB Doser -> 2m cable -> PAB PowerBar -> 2m cable -> ExpansionBox -> 80m Cable to Row 4
Row 4 Expansion box -> 2m cable -> PAB Doser -> 2m cable -> PAB PowerBar -> 30m cable -> ExpansionBox -> 2m Cable -> PAB PowerBar -> 30m cable -> PAB Doser -> 2m cable -> PAB PowerBar -> 2m cable -> ExpansionBox -> 80m Cable to Row 5
Row 5 Expansion box -> 2m cable -> PAB Doser -> 2m cable -> PAB PowerBar -> 30m cable -> ExpansionBox -> 2m Cable -> PAB PowerBar -> 30m cable -> PAB Doser -> 2m cable -> PAB PowerBar -> 2m cable -> ExpansionBox

This would involve a total of 670m of PAB cabling, will this work?

Im talking to them to move to something less massive/complex so that its easier to monitor and manage, i.e. each row having a seperate controller, so that there is redundancy and maximum values for various things are not challenged (number of sockets for example) etc.
But this question is simply to get an answer on what the maximum length of the PAB bus.

thanks

Vinny
17.11.2015, 16:17
Hi Capt,

The max distance between devices is 100m, so yes, you can run 670m of total PAB cabling. Every segment has its own driver to make this possible.

CaptCrash
18.11.2015, 04:12
Thanks for the confirmation vinny.