PDA

View Full Version : Can't run latest GHL control on Windowsxp

siskiou
03.11.2015, 00:43
So, my firmware update with serial/usb adapter on my Windows7 laptop failed.
I used my old XP laptop with serial to flash the PL3 and it's alive again, but I can't run the latest control software on that pc. It fails with "the procedure entry point inet_ntop could not be located in the synamic link library WS2_32.dll".
I downloaded the version that was offered when I input my OS in the downloads area.
Should it work on WinXP, then?

I can't use my windows7 laptop with the PL3, because the firmware update runs forever, with the usb adapter I have.

Alternatively, is the latest firmware for the PL3 available outside the GHL control center, so I could use the flash tool to update?
Edited to add: I found the firmware file, copied it over to my old XP laptop, and am flashing it now.
It would be great if there were a version of the control center that runs on older systems.

Oh, and where can I order a usb cable that works for firmware updates? I can't find any info about what type of cable I need, exactly, nor do I see them available to order.

Vinny
03.11.2015, 13:23
Hi,

If you have a Profilux 3, the best way to carry out firmware updates is by using an RS232/USB adapter. Doing this will allow you to use your Win 7 PC.

If you have a Profilux 3.1, you can use a regular male to male USB cable.

siskiou
03.11.2015, 17:19
Thanks!
It's a Profilux 3, with ethernet and usb ports. Does the usb on this model not work the same way as on the 3.1?
No FW updates through usb on PL3?

Also, all my probems would be solved, if there were a GCC version that worked on WinXP. :)

I do have an RS232/USB adapter that works well on the Win7 machine in all respects, *except* for FW updates.
The one successful one took 50 hours to transmit!

In another thread, someone suggested to change the baud rate to something higher. I haven't had a chance to test it with those settings, since there is no new FW for now.

Also, when I used my WinXP machine with a different RS232/USB adapter to do updates on my old PLIIplus, I never had any speed problems during FW updates, with the 9600 baud setting.

Vinny
04.11.2015, 16:01
Some of the internals on the P3.1 were changed which allow for firmware updates via USB to be more stable. The slow transfer speeds could have something to do with the RS232/USB adapter itself.