Thread: Conductivity probe issues

Default Conductivity probe issues

Have been set up for close to 3 months. All of a sudden having issues with salinity levels dropping consistently over 12 hour period. From 53 to 47 in one 12 hour period. Re calibrate and it works for another 6-8 hrs. Then back to the same issue. I have double checked with hand held CALIBRATED salinity tester and it reads 53.5!
    After calibration I recheck by placing in 50 cal solution and it reads 50!
    Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by doggydoc10 View Post
    Have been set up for close to 3 months. All of a sudden having issues with salinity levels dropping consistently over 12 hour period. From 53 to 47 in one 12 hour period. Re calibrate and it works for another 6-8 hrs. Then back to the same issue. I have double checked with hand held CALIBRATED salinity tester and it reads 53.5!
    After calibration I recheck by placing in 50 cal solution and it reads 50!
    Please help!

I have a similar problem my probe works fine then it will drop from 34 some times down to 28:mad:
    If I remove the probe out of the water it will return to a true value

Frustrating I know.
    Hopefully GHL can chime in for poss answers. I just cleaned the probe with a vinegar solution and
    re calibrated and it's back to working order. But I am sure in 4-6 hours it will be back down to 45-46
    Frustrating

I did have this issue and found it was a micro biological phenomenon.
    Micro plankton seem to be able to make their way in between the electrodes and change the conductivity slightly.
    By putting the probe in a higher flow area seemed to resolve my issues!
    Call me Paul !
    Note: I am not GHL staff!

Probe its on a high flow area to begin with.
    Last night I cleaned it with a vinegar bath, recalibrate and so far it's keeping values.
    Let's see what happens throughout tuesday day
    Thanks for the info

If the probe shows reasonable values in a glass with tank water or in the calibration fluid, but false values back in the tank,
    then the cause could be electromagnetic interferences (defective heater, pump, cable - sometimes ballasts can influence the measurement).
    Here we recommend to disconnect all electronic devices one after another and check which device is causing the trouble.
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

Ty

Another question I have. Do I need to keep that black plastic cover at the tip of the probe off? Is that cover just for protection or does it need to be on the probe at all times?

It's for protection. So you can leave it on the tip of the probe, it doesn't have any influence on the values.
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.