Thread: Extension for level and temp sensors.

Default Extension for level and temp sensors.

Hi,

I have a question about how long an extension one can get for the level and/or temperature sensors. We would like to monitor the level and temperature of an external 5000 l header tank but this is, unfortunately, more than 5m away from the profilux control unit (3N Ex). It is possible to connect 2 of the 5m extension cords to make a single 10m cable or would that attenuate the signal too much?

Also, regarding the level sensor - what is the dynamic level of the optical and float sensors? Can I measure a level change of a meter or so? We have an opaque plastic 5000 l (2.5 m high) tank as a store/pretreatment and we would like to monitor the level to ensure that the downstream system doesn't get starved of water so would like to sense when the water is about 1 m from the top. Is this possible with either sensor?

Thanks,
    Dave

It is possible to connect 2 of the 5m extension cords to make a single 10m cable or would that attenuate the signal too much?
    It´s not recommended. The measured values may be less accurate

Also, regarding the level sensor - what is the dynamic level of the optical and float sensors?
    Maye there is a misunderstanding on our side: The level sensors (all of them) are switches, not analog level measurement devices.

Can I measure a level change of a meter or so? We have an opaque plastic 5000 l (2.5 m high) tank as a store/pretreatment and we would like to monitor the level to ensure that the downstream system doesn't get starved of water so would like to sense when the water is about 1 m from the top. Is this possible with either sensor?
    As said: Level sensors are switches, so this depends on the mounting points.

Yes, I misunderstood how the level sensors worked. I now understand that it is a switch that is turned on/off when the level drops below where it is mounted. That being the case would there be any problem with doubling up the cable length as we just want a binary signal, not a precise voltage?

I still have not had an answer to my question:
    Would it be a problem to connect two extension cords (daisy chain) to a level sensor?

Given that it is a binary on/off signal then the small amount of voltage loss would not appear to be a problem IMO...

As Gunther already mentioned: We can only guarantee a proper operation for our level sensors with an extension cable of max. 5 m.
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.