Thread: Meassurement cell bypass / dedicated pump?

Default Meassurement cell bypass / dedicated pump?

I am pondering of how to set up the cell: either with a dedicated flow pump (eheim universal or JBl's proflow pump) or have it in a bypass with an eheim filter. With this last option i fear loss off flow. Will there be a significant loss of flow?

Lastly, could anyone post a pic of how you connected the meassurement cell?

I just run my probes in my sump , not with any bypass or dedicated flow pump

a sump is not an option, i simply have no room for it. Therefore i bought this measurement cell. So i still like to hear folks opinions about the questions asked in the first post.

Hi,

I connected my measuring cell just before Xmas last year. Haven't yet taken any pictures of it, but I'll try to describe what I've done.

I really struggled to connect the 20mm cell outlets, doesn't seem to be a "standard size" here in Australia. I found tubing to put over the 20mm outlets (hence a 20mm inside pipe) which in return I used a Eheim reducer piece to go down to the 16/12mm Eheim Pipe which comes from my 2217 Filter outlet.

In other words, from the Eheim 2217 output I convert to the 20mm inside diameter pipe to connect to the cell and on the output side of the cell I reduce again from the 20mm inside pipe to a 16/12mm Eheim pipe which then ends up going back into my tank. That is also what Eheim recommends in regard to restricting the flow rate, to do it on the output side (usually using a valve) and not on the input (tank to Eheim).

Loss of flow is huge. I would estimate that my 2217 now delivers less than 200 l/h throughput. Which is good, if you are after a deNitrate Filter, I use Seachem deNitrate in my 2217 now, which requires such a low flow rate. I do have another Eheim connected to the same Aquarium as a bacterial filter. So bottom line, yes, the Cell connection slows flow rate terribly down which might be a problem if it is your only filter. However, as mentioned above if you are after a slow flow rate for denitrating or possibly to connect a UV, that is exactly what you want and cannot buy :-)

cheers...

Jurgen

Hi Jurgen,
    i thank you for you elaborate answer, answering all the question i had! Perfect.
    regards,
    Rhubs