Thread: Mounting the Optolevel sensor vertical

Default Mounting the Optolevel sensor vertical

I have (test)mounted the GHL optolevel sensor vertically.

It is not to control a even water level, but it functions as a cutoff switch for the intake pump. This for when the aquarium drain-hose accidentally gets blocked and the waterlevel will rise so high that the aquarium will overflow into my living room, (and that not a nice thing).

I have tested this vertical setup for a while now, and it works great. The only thing i noticed is that it does not always cutoff at the same waterlevel. It can vary by +-1 mm, (2mm totaal max) ...but that is not a problem for my aquarium setup.

But in the supplied manual you put that it has to be mounted horizontally. Is this only if you want perfect accuracy for when you use it as a even waterlevel control. The Tunze levelcontrol also uses a similar sensor and the mount it also verticaly.

The big question: Can i make my test-setup(for my particular situation) a definite one bij mounting the sensor vertically, or am i going to run in some kind off trouble in the near future by doing this.

With Kind Regards,
    Jack

108_aquarium_level_test_optisch.jpg
    Manual_GHL_optische_sensor.jpg

The reason for the horizontal mounting is as follows: in the vertical position a drop can stick at the top of the sensor and this can lead to a faulty switching.

That's not a problem in my situation........ as long as it stops the intake pump when the waterlevel is at extreme hight. When the waterlevel drops to a safer level, it does not mather is it takes a bit longer for the pump to kick back in. I program in a time delay anyway. So I am going to change the test-setup to a definite setup.

Thank you Carolin for your response

With Kind Regards,
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Carolin View Post
    The reason for the horizontal mounting is as follows: in the vertical position a drop can stick at the top of the sensor and this can lead to a faulty switching.

Mountijng it the old way (the way you have it now) allows for a water drop to stay at the tip and it will NOT triger the event, I would mount it the proper way if you plan on relying on it

A picture from your setup would de nice.....

Quote Originally Posted by boboxx View Post
    Mountijng it the old way (the way you have it now) allows for a water drop to stay at the tip and it will NOT triger the event, I would mount it the proper way if you plan on relying on it