Thread: Powerbar 5.1 - 5th socket will not turn off

Default Powerbar 5.1 - 5th socket will not turn off

Dear GHL,

One of my Powerbar 5.1 units has developed a problem where the 5th socket (the switchable / dimmable socket) will not turn off. Using Control Centre to turn the socket off results in the red status LED turning off, but power continues to flow through the socket regardless and thus is it now an almost-useless ALWAYS ON socket.

This appears to be the same problem as reported by other users including two on the GHL forum:
    - http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/sh...-wont-turn-off
    - http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/sh...rk-dimm-socket

The PowerBar is only a few months old. The 5th socket was running an EcoTech Vectra L1 pump when it failed, and was switching on / off 2-3 times per day for feeding cycles. The firmware OS is ver1.01 and I could not find a newer version on the GHL site.

What was the problem and solution when this was previously reported; and can this problem be fixed without having to send the PowerBar back to the factory?

Thank you.

the problem is:

the MOSFET of socket 5 blew up due to overload, most case too high inrush current, then even the fuse can't trigger fast enough

happens usually with not so great switching power supplies or ballasts (to express myself carefully...)

socket 5 is then dead (or always on)

repair only through GHL possible
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

Thanks for the information Matthias. It is good to understand the problem.

Like many of your customers, I have a lot of $$$ invested in my fish and corals and keeping them alive is dependant on my Profilux4 and PowerBar working. I can't remove this malfunctioning PowerBar from my system and send it back to the retailer in Europe (I am in Australia) and wait for it to be swapped for a new unit as this will take 4-6 weeks. The PowerBar runs my auto water changes, auto top off and heat control and without it my whole system will crash.

Could you please arrange for a replacement PowerBar 5.1 to be sent direct to me instead, and upon its arrival I will return the defective unit to you? I am happy to provide proof of purchase if necessary to show the PowerBar is only a few months old.

Please PM me and I will provide my address.

Thank you very much.

please contact the GHL service directly:

service@ghl-kl.de
    No support or warranty issues over PM! Please send PMs to the moderators only if you have general problems with using the forum! Thanks for helping us to keep the support efficient.
    Kein Support oder Reklamationsabwicklung über PM! Bitte senden Sie an die Moderatoren nur PMs bei allgemeinen Problemen mit der Verwendung des Forums! Danke dass Sie uns dabei helfen, den Support effektiv zu gestalten.

It's now been almost a week since I forwarded this problem to the GHL Service Department email as requested by Matthias, but I have not received any reply whatsoever.

Could someone from GHL please ask the Service Department to follow up on this?

Thanks.

Here's an update for anyone interested in this thread and in GHL customer service generally.

I finally received a reply from GHL stating they would not help resolve this problem and I had to deal with the retailer.

The retailer has advised they do not have any more PowerBars in stock and it will take GHL 3 or more weeks to supply them with a new one, even though the retailer and GHL are in the same country.

By the time I eventually get a replacement PowerBar under warranty I estimate it will be at least 7-8 weeks since my current PowerBar broke down. 7-8 weeks of major inconvenience of having to use a standard powerboard and switch things on and off manually.

I am incredibly disappointed with this service and am amazed that GHL not only keep selling these PowerBars with a known problem, but then show no interest in helping resolve problems like this for their customers. I have spent a lot of money on GHL equipment in the last year (Profilux 4, Doser 2.1, sensors, PowerBars and so on) so it is really sad to receive such poor service when something has broken down after just a few months.

I doubt I will ever trust GHL equipment again.