Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Refractometer or conductivity probe?

Quote Originally Posted by alekslyse View Post
    What is the ms recorded (not kg/l)? What is your tank temperature at the same time as your report your ms?
    My refractometer won't give an ms reading only ppt or sg. The tank is currently at 26c and 51.9ms according to P4. Refractometer gives 1.026 (34ppt) @ ~20c

Quote Originally Posted by CraigH View Post
    My refractometer won't give an ms reading only ppt or sg. The tank is currently at 26c and 51.9ms according to P4. Refractometer gives 1.026 (34ppt) @ ~20c
    Check your temperature probe. @ 26 degrees 51.9 = 1.0251 @ 25 degrees = 1.0257 - use a glass of rodi icecubes and water to find absolutely zero on your probe in case its off

I would buy salinity calibration fluid at 35ppt and calibrate your refractometer with that, IMO RO water or sterilised water or any such liquid doesn’t give accurate calibration as it’s set point (ie 0) is too far away from what your asking it to measure.

I’ve found that when my refractometer and conductivity probe don’t match, it’s because of micro bubbles on the probe. I have my probe in front of a powerhead in my sump and that keeps it reading perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by tbreza View Post
    I’ve found that when my refractometer and conductivity probe don’t match, it’s because of micro bubbles on the probe. I have my probe in front of a powerhead in my sump and that keeps it reading perfect.

Same here.
    A powerhead in front of probes works perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk