Thread: Very old firmware - should I update?

Default Very old firmware - should I update?

I've not updated my Profilux 3ex for years. I'm using 5.0.3.2.
    It works, although to be honest I've been very lazy and hardly ever make changes or check readings. Basically I use it to control lighting on a large (3,000l) reef. I'm re-energised and would like to start using the system more thoroughly (eg re-connect the dosing pump, control more operations, put in feeding pause on pumps etc). I would especially like to access and control the system from my iPhone if possible.

My questions therefore are:

Should I upgrade the software? (if so can I go straight to the latest version or do I need to do it in steps?)
    Looking at the site there is reference to GHL Control Center and Profilux Control. I'm only familiar with Profilux Control. Should I familiarise myself with the former?
    Having not kept up with changes to the system over the years, are there any new probes available? eg Nitrate or Phosphate?

thanks all!

Hi there,

The ProfiLux controller now uses GHL Control Center to make changes to the system. ProfiLux control was used for FW versions earlier than 6.00. Updating to the newest firmware introduces many improvements and features, including cloud access via myGHL. Through myGHL you will be able to view and make adjustments from any web browser.

If you do choose to update, please write down all your settings because this will be a massive firmware upgrade and not all information will carry over.

To do the update, you should:
    1. Download the newest version of GHL Control Center, currently v1100. We now include all firmware files with the GCC download. Install GCC to your PC and all firmware files will be included.
    2. Open ProfiLux Control v6.0.6.1 and begin the firmware update.
    3. When asked to select the FW file to load, navigate to the GHL Control Center directory folder and select the ProfiLux 3 firmware version 6.29.
    - Location: OS(C: )-->Program Files (x86)-->GHLControlCenter_V1100-->Firmware-->ProfiLux 3
    4. Once the update is complete, restart the ProfiLux. Firmware 6.29 will be shown on the display upon bootup.

Connecting via GHL Control Center
    1. Open GCC
    2. Select the ProfiLux 3 controller from the START MENU options.
    3. Set the Type of connection to RS232/USB and set COM to AUTO, then click SAVE.
    4. Click CLOSE.
    5. Select the ProfiLux 3 connection at the bottom left of the screen and click CONNECT or double-click on the icon.

Thanks for that Vinny. I'm connected to the Profilux via LAN. Can I do the updates through this?

USB provides the most stable and reliable connection for transmitting the new firmware. Please update via USB connection.

I've tried to do this but I get the message: "The connected Profilux has a too low firmware version and can't be used with this version of Profilux Control!".

The firmware update options are greyed out.

Any suggestions?

Use an earlier version of ProfiLux Control. You can find this option on our downloads page.

Thanks Vinny. After a bit of mucking around and checking some of your other threads I've upgraded. And can now use the control centre. This leads to my next question:

I have been unable to connect to myghl because the security key remains at ---
    I've tried to read other posts similar but haven't found a solution. Any advice?
    Last edited by mgpro; 26.09.2017 at 12:46.

That myGHL security is not shown in GCC until you verify the P3’s myGHL-ID in your myGHL account. This key is automatically generated once verified. We have a Youtube video which shows you how to add devices to a myGHL account.

The video can be found on our website and here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09d-INDfblc

Vinny I need to say a public thank you for all your help getting my settings sorted out - service above and beyond!