Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RedSea Reefer 250 and Mitras LX7206

Default RedSea Reefer 250 and Mitras LX7206

Goodday,

Can you help me with the following? I want to buy a Reefer 250 (90x50x53) from RedSea and want to use my Profile 4 computer to controle the lights. The Mitras LX7206 is my choice but can you tell me if one LX7 is enough to start with. Another option is to use 2 Mitras Lightbar2 Actinic 90.

Thanks in advance for you answer,

Greetings,
    John
    Last edited by JohnwvanEck; 06.08.2017 at 16:20.

Hi John,

A single LX7 fixture will provide enough spread to cover the entire tank. Whether it will be enough will depend on what types of coral you plan to keep.

If you will do soft coral and LPS, 1 fixture is enough.

If you will have a SPS dominant tank, 2 fixtures would be best.

Having 2 fixtures will provide you with additional light output control and give you enough light at the very corners of the tank for SPS.

Don't forget to pick up the PLM-PWC expansion card. You'll need it to wirelessly control the LX7s from your P4 controller.

Thanks for your quick response and advice.

If I may chime in here.
    I'm planning the same setup. But set up as a planted aquarium. (Aquascape, lots of co2 and fertilizer)

I'm shooting for roughly 10.000 lumen. But apparently GHL hates lumen, so I can only approximate the lumens I will get.
    50 lumen per litre is what I hope to get.

How am I there with a LX 6000 or 7000?

No problem John. Feel free to reach out to us if you have any more questions.

Tilman,

If you're looking to get more light output, the LX7006 would be the way to go. These will have the option to transfer more power to any LED channel if needed.

That is my dilemma. Of all the reasons to spend the extra money on the 7000series, the better looks and the higher power are the only ones that matter to me.
    But I have no reason to splurge if I don't need the extra power.
    Thanks to GHLs hatred of lumen numbers, I have no information to make this call on. I only know that both are somewhat in the right order of magnitude.
    I know lumen are misleading and misused in many cases. But at least it's something.

I'm feeling quite left alone with those decisions.
    My gut feeling is that the 6000 series produces around 20000 lumen. So plenty for me. (Like double of what I actually need.)

So yea, if you can't tell me the lumens numbers publicly, I was hoping to know at least if I'm safe with my estimate or way off and in the danger zone.
    I'm pay the extra money gladly, but not to change from double overkill to triple overkill of what I need.
    And buying a under-powered lamp is almost like flushing money down the drain. It's no fun. Been there.

Never thought it would be so hard to make this call.

Running a single LX 7000 on my 90x50x50 Red Sea Reefer 250 planted tank.
    The light is plenty. But lighting on the fringes is not ideal.
    I would say, fits well enough.

Planning a mixed aquarium but LPS dominated (Reefer 300XL). Any suggestions whether one LX7 (6 cluster) is enough?

Yes, one LX7206 will be enough for those coral.

Hello GHL

Just one question, would you advise getting 1x LX7206 oder 2x LX7204 for the Red Sea Reefer 250. I would like a mixed tank and have all possibilities plus nice tank coverage

Thanks a lot for your response