Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PL3 webserver setup

But my tank is nowhere near the main router, so I *have* to use the bridge to get it on the network.
    I´ve not studied the whole thread ... however a device in ethernet bridge mode seems me the wrong device to connect a single P3 to the Network. Bridges are normally used to connect switches together, not single devices.

You should use an access point instead or set up your device as such one. I´ve done this before often with a lot of different access points with no problem.
    I´ve used a Vonet VAP11G, an ASUS WL-330N3G, AVM FRITZ!WLAN Repeater 300E and a TP Link TL-MR3040 with success as a virtual LAN cable.
    Last edited by Gunther; 09.11.2015 at 11:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
    You should use an access point instead or set up your device as such one. I´ve done this before often with a lot of different access points with no problem.
    I´ve used a Vonet VAP11G, an ASUS WL-330N3G, AVM FRITZ!WLAN Repeater 300E and a TP Link TL-MR3040 with success as a virtual LAN cable.
    Hi, and thanks! Could you please explain how to set up a router or the PL3 as an access point, on my current network?
    I'm currently thinking of using a 50ft ethernet cable, but if that can be avoided, it would be great!

PS: Auf Deutsch geht es auch, aber ich kenne computer lingo nur auf Englisch. Daher habe ich den Beitrag ins englische forum Forum gestellt.

Could you please explain how to set up a router or the PL3 as an access point
    There is a mis-understanding (maybe). It´s not possible to set up the PL as an access point nor is ist possible to do it with the router.

Let me try to explain the meaning of "Access point"/wireless bridge:

The PL only can work as a LAN device which means only with a cabled connection.
    The router is able to serve cabled or wireless connection (I think your router isn´t different in this point).
    What you need is a little device, called "access point"/wireless bridge which has to be programmed once (mostly with a also available USB port). This device has a power input and - more important - one cabled LAN output to connect the PL. This is why I said "wireless LAN cable".

Correction: I found that the correct terminus may be "wireless bridge" see

Thanks! I tried a wireless bridge, and can get access to the PL3 via LAN, but not from outside the network.
    So, I think I'll stick with a long ethernet cable for now.
    Just have to guide it nicely around a corner and over a doorway, so it looks acceptable in the living room.

i purchased a Apple airport expres .... hooked it on as an extender to my Wifi and connect the PL3 by LAN cable to the internet port of the airport expres....

Can you try temporarily connecting your PL3 directly to your router and then test the external access.

If it works, directly connected, then your issue is the wireless bridge you currently have.
    If it does not work, directly connected then the issue is with the router/PL3 configuration. Given that the PL3 works internally, its most likely the router configuration.
    Stay up to date with my efforts at Blue Tang Breeding here http://facebook.com/RegalTangBreeding and Mccullochi Clownfish Breeding here https://www.facebook.com/MccullochiClownfishBreeding

Quote Originally Posted by diverdutch View Post
    i purchased a Apple airport expres .... hooked it on as an extender to my Wifi and connect the PL3 by LAN cable to the internet port of the airport expres....
    Does it work from outside your LAN? Did you have to do any port forwarding on the airport express?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    Can you try temporarily connecting your PL3 directly to your router and then test the external access.

If it works, directly connected, then your issue is the wireless bridge you currently have.
    Yes, everything works fine, when directly connected to my main router.

And with the bridge, everything works fine from within the LAN, but not from outside.

So, to keep cost down and simplify things, I will be laying a 50ft ethernet cable, as soon as it arrives.
    Annoying, but cheaper than hunting for a bridge that works.