PDA

View Full Version : Moon simulation question

Keith Rogers
14.06.2013, 17:07
I tried out the moon simulation feature yesterday and I am puzzled.

Set up:
My "day" illumination profile is from 1000 - 2200 local time.
In the simulation window I set "night" from 2200 - 1000
The royal blue channel is set to 2% during 2200 - 1000
The royal blue "simulation" box is checked.
All other channels are 0% during "night" and their simulation boxes are not checked.
The phase display in the simulation window seemed accurate for the date, it being about half way between new and full moon.

What I expected to happen:
During the first half of "night" the royal blue would be some fraction of 2%.
The royal blue channel would go to 0% about half way through the night when the moon set.

What I observed:
At the start of "night", the royal blue was at some low intensity. I don't know if it was 0.75% or what ever - my eye isn't calibrated for that.
However my eye is calibrated to no intensity at all and the channel did not go out after moon set. It was still shining at some low intensity at 7 am when I left for work, long after the moon had set in the real world.

Did I miss something in set up? Help welcome. This is for a 6100HV running firmware 1.08.

JasonK
15.06.2013, 00:53
Moon simulation remains at the same intensity throughout your nighttime simulation window. Full moon would be 2% from 22-10am as you have it set, right now if moon started at .75%, it would also remain at .75% until 10am.

Keith Rogers
15.06.2013, 06:45
Oh. That explains why the light did not go out after the moon set.

Is there some place to add a request that the moon simulator also simulate moon rise and moon set? Aside from the fact of that's how the moon works, from my research, which granted was 25 years ago, many invertibrates use the dark period of the lunar cycle for synchronization, not the the intensity, to determine when to spawn, etc. In other words, the length of zero light because the moon is below the horizon matters more than the intensity of the moon light when it is above the horizon.

JasonK
15.06.2013, 12:42
There is a Customer's wishes (http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/forumdisplay.php?30-Customer-s-wishes) section on the forum you can make suggestions like this there.

BigAl07
17.06.2013, 15:30
This post is "slightly" related...

I'm not running the GHL Mitras at the moment but I am running GHL Simu stick in my aquarium which also handles the "Moonlight" simulation very similar to how the Mitras does it. What's of interest if my Green Star Polyps recently spawned in my tank under this "Moon Simulation" around the first of May or last of April (whenever FULL MOON was in that time period). I would think that this is a good indicator that the current moon simulation is at least in part good enough to help promote coral spawning.

JasonK
18.06.2013, 22:56
Have a look here if you want to ramp up and down the rising and setting on Moonlight.

http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/showthread.php?6473-help-with-a-couple-of-minor-problems/page3