PDA

View Full Version : Profilux questions

tyuksel76
02.05.2013, 11:12
Hello all,
I am thinking about investing in an aquarium controller. I plan to upgrade my tank next year so its an investment for future. Because of backward compatibility and openness i am keen on getting Profilux.

My current setup (240lt) has a Tunze ATO , 3X tunze 6055 on 7096 controller. Non dimable ATI sunpower 6x39... a DIY 6 fan cooler on thermostat.. I also have a gel battery 100Ah with tunze safety connector on the pumps for emergency situations. I do balling method with bubble magus doser which i need to replace soon...

For my next tank (600l) i plan to get ATI hybrid powermodule and keep the rest of the equipment as is and add some Tunze 6095s or Vortech MP40s as needed.

For profilux investment i plan to get the following

PL 3N starter set
Tunze & Y cables
4 channel doser
5 fan Coolbreeze & controller

I also plan to get a small ups to keep profilux alive during power downs..

My questions

1 - How big of a UPS do i need to keep only PL3N on for 24 hours at min.
2 - Will PL3N keep tunze pumps that are connected to battery running, if it has power via UPS but not the power bars?
3 - Since the ATI hybrid module has its own controller i think it wont need to be controlled via PL3n, am i correct?
4 - Is there a place in the forum where people posted their setups which we can see and get inspired?

Thanks,
Tolga

BigAl07
02.05.2013, 14:46
I think this link will answer your last question:

http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/forumdisplay.php?22-Customer-s-aquariums-and-terrariums

tyuksel76
03.05.2013, 14:47
Thanks BigAl

Any ideas about the rest? Especially item 2 is very important for me...

Gunther
03.05.2013, 15:07
Any ideas about the rest? Especially item 2 is very important for me...

1) - no idea - it also depends on the number of probes and additional equipment I think
2) it will - as long as the PL has power but it will not, if the PL is off (even not with Tunze battery pack!)
However, there is a DIY fallback for battery running with and without PL: See http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2002&d=1321192304 (german drawing, but I think it´s clear)
3) - it think so

tyuksel76
03.05.2013, 15:17
Thank you.. I saw the drawing, but i am not sure if its risky to make changes to working conditions of the PL. Can PL be aware of power loss somehow and send email message about this when connected to ups?? Or do we need the SMS module for this purpose?

Matthias
03.05.2013, 16:22
you could use a digital input of the separately available expansion card "PLM-ADIN" if you are able to connect there something which indicates a power-cut

a SMS module work in any case

tyuksel76
03.05.2013, 19:04
Thank you Matthias
I am not very good at electronics and its been so long since my college years. So please correct me if i am wrong. What i understand from you is , i can get PLM-ADIN and a basic 10V adapter, then based on the amperage of this adapter use a resistor to reduce the ampere down to 10mA. This way when there is electric the PL will record 10V in input signal.. When its gone it will be 0V.. Can this work? Sorry if this is such a noobish idea as i said i am not very good at this kind of stuff.. Thanks..

Matthias
04.05.2013, 07:58
the PLM-ADIN has 2 analog and 4 digital inputs -> use the digital inputs and connect a power source (e.g. basic adapter) to the mains you want to control

tyuksel76
04.05.2013, 09:18
Yes , but don't i need to reduce the ampere down? in the manuel file for PLM-ADIN it says "Auxiliary voltage 10 V: can be loaded withmax. 10 mA" . I will also buy this piece with my order.

Gunther
04.05.2013, 10:21
don't i need to reduce the ampere down?
You need a potential-free switch - this also can be a relais

tyuksel76
04.05.2013, 17:37
Hmm.. That got me confusing.. :) lets say i have a 10V 250mA adapter.. Can this be connected without anything to the PLM-ADIN card? Thanks

tyuksel76
08.05.2013, 10:30
Any inputs? I plan to order the items this week from Germany.. I want to get all necessary parts in one order.

Gunther
08.05.2013, 10:56
You are mixing analog and digital signal inputs of the adin card. See also manual for ADIN card (http://support.aquariumcomputer.com/english/download.php?did=237)

Analog input is awaiting 0-10V against an internal restistance of 20kOhm (so the needed load is very low, app. 0,5mA)
Digital input is awaiting to be switched against ground, resistance is 100kOhm, so also a very low current

So for digital input you need a switch, a float, a transistor or any other switching device with no load.
If you connect a power source to the digital input, you risk to destroy the card.

tyuksel76
09.05.2013, 12:26
I understand what you mean. So i can use the auxiliary voltage on pin 1 and attach it to a DC switch-relay, then connect the output of the DC switch-relay to analog input. When the relay switches status (for example electric failure), i can trigger power failure alert. Is this correct? Thank you!

Gunther
09.05.2013, 13:54
I understand what you mean.
Not really, I think ....

So i can use the auxiliary voltage on pin 1 and attach it to a DC switch-relay, then connect the output of the DC switch-relay to analog input. When the relay switches status (for example electric failure), i can trigger power failure alert.

You can do so, but it makes no sense. Analog input is - as the name suggests - to measure something, not to switch on and off. If you do so, you waste an analog input.

To have a power failure alert, connect a relay to your power source and the switched relay contacts to one of the four digital inputs and ground of the ADIN card. When the relay switches, the ADIN card will recognize this and send an alert (if it´s programmed in that way).

tyuksel76
09.05.2013, 14:43
A fool with a tool is still a fool.. Its very complicated for a non electric/electronic person to understand some of these stuff.. Thanks for explaining it patiently..

tyuksel76
17.05.2013, 14:43
Hello All,
I have made my purchase for 3.1N starter kit, tunze cables, the cooler fans and PLM-ADIN. With support from you guys i will hopefully set it up soon.

tyuksel76
14.06.2013, 14:51
Hello I have another question,
I am very happy with my Profilux 3N and want to add the redox and conductivity measurement ability as well. It seems i have 2 options ;

a) get extend kit
b) get an expansion box

Am i correct? even though expansion box is more expensive it includes several future expansion options so would be my first choice. Please let me know.

BigAl07
14.06.2013, 15:01
If I were in your shoes I would absolutely add the Ex Box. It has a lot of BANG for the buck and allows a lot of future expansion.

doggydoc10
14.06.2013, 18:24
Exp box

tyuksel76
31.07.2013, 19:28
Already got he Exp. Box ;) Thanks everyone.