PDA

View Full Version : LedControl4 Passive - dimming

premiero
23.03.2011, 13:59
I am owner of 2 x PacificSun BP 160W Slave + GHL LEDContorl4 Pasiive + Profilux II plus. I have some issue when dimming with this controller. It is not fully smooth. I clearly see the difference between levels. Why? When connected to Master lamp, I see lighting intensity to bee fully smooth. Where is the problem? Is it Profilux or Controller issue?

Matthias
23.03.2011, 18:04
Hi

the signal goes this path: in the ProfiLux the digital PWM signal to analog 1-10V, the LEDControl converts the 1-10V back to PWM and controls the Pacific Sun

possibly there are some losses in this whole signal path

we examine if there is a way to improve this behavior

premiero
23.03.2011, 21:03
Thank You. If you need more data, let me know.

Matthias
26.03.2011, 12:17
OK, I checked this: I have on my private tank 8 groups of LEDs and they are controlled by LEDControl4.
I wasn't able to see that there is a problem with the dimming steps, even when activating a strong cloud simulation I never had the impression that the illumination not smooth enough.

As I told earlier, due to the analog signal path we have 256 dimming steps, maybe PS has more because they directly output the PWM from their built-in controller.

As a comparison. DALI (digital adressable lighting interface) has a resolution of approx. 160 steps, and many LED-lamp manufacturers have also 256 steps.

-> that means: we can't change this because of the physical limitations here, but in my opinion this is not really an issue

premiero
27.03.2011, 18:14
Maby it's not issue.:rolleyes: I was just comparing how profilux and master lamp dim, and saw the difference. I'm curious - why this limitation? Seems like 8-bit addressing. Has Profilux III the same number of dimming steps?

I just received information, that PS BP has 10-bit resolution, so theoreticaly there are 1024 dimming levels, but in practice we have 1000 levels.