PDA

View Full Version : USB connection problems, ProPlusII versus W7

Locarno
25.09.2010, 23:07
I cant get my USB connection working on my ProPlusII versus my PC Windows O.S. 7
Pls help !

I installed the new drivers from the web.
My computer recognize the new feature as :
Prolific USB-to-Serial Com Port (COM1)
Profilux control settings :
Com1 Baudrate 9600 type RS232/USB
Device address 1 (I dont know this number/what number it should be???)
Communications error! Error Code 28
And the statement : Could not connect.

Couldnt get it out of my head, so kept trying.
I took another cable and Com port (3)
Its working, but very slow.
I presume some settings need to be adjusted. But I do have connection !

What can be the reason of this slow data interfacing ?

Thanks in advance
Regards Hans (Locarno)

Mathias-Steffen
26.09.2010, 08:37
We have the USB Prolific Chipset running without problems here. Did you download the drivers directly from our customer service download center?

Locarno
26.09.2010, 16:52
I used these two. Are these also ment to be used for the Profilux Plus II with the additional USB build in ? because it revers to the Profilux 3.

Driver for PLM-USB and integrated USB-port of ProfiLux 3, Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7® - for Prolific chipset only!
12/10/2009

Driver for PLM-USB and integrated USB-port of ProfiLux 3, Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7® - for FTDI chipset only!
11/03/2009

GHL Support
27.09.2010, 07:33
Yes, they can also be used with a ProfiLux Plus II (ProfiLux 3 here refers only to the "integrated USB-port").
Have you also looked at this thread? http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Forum/showthread.php?634-Connection-with-USB-please-read-first!

Locarno
27.09.2010, 18:08
To go thru this message, I showed the drivers I down loaded, its not a third party USB connection, The com is set on COM3, I asked what to do with the device number which is still open, baudrate stayed on 9600

If the connection fails although then there remain these reasons:
o The used USB-RS232-converter is not working correctly (hardware and/or driver are not according to the standards). Then there is only left to user another one (other brand / model).
I presume that your USB is ok. Do I have to buy another one ???

Please check these points and search for "USB" in this forum

I did, and found that the option RS485 delay should be on active and time out on 5000Ms But I still have a very slow connection.
After editing f.i. the illumination description and save this new input, it wont be visible the next time I log in to the system.
Activating the manual illumination and change settings will generates major problems and the program stops / on tilt. I have to push the ESC button on my Profilus Plus II to get back the standard display.

The PC makes contact, but not a very good/fast one !

So, could it be the device number ??? or the MS setting ?

Matthias
28.09.2010, 08:17
- device number can stay "1"
- Baudrate can stay 9600
- timeout (in ms) can be 1000ms

your USB connection is not reliable - do you use a cable longer than 5m?

Locarno
28.09.2010, 18:58
My cable is 4 meters, I do want to use a 10 meter cable with a booster but that will be installed after this set up is working.

Now I have loaded an other Windows 7 driver (PL2303_Prolific_GPS_1013_20090319) and the system is a lot faster. All data was loaded, I can make changes on the descriptions and now it saves and load this new data. So that’s ok.
But then after further testing the system has a big problem with the light scenario’s, option activate manual illumination. The program stops / no response and I have to kill the process manually in the Windows Task manager. This also occurs when I test light scenes.

In the manual activation set up those lamps which, are not using the standard GHL gear, are generating problems. Monitoring the system with the Communication monitor proves it. Constantly the transmission is going well with no failed transmissions but as soon I f.i. deactivate or active a light the system crashes except when I activate or deactivate the led illumination, then its responding is correct.

( I made a screendump of the communication monitor, but i could not get it into this text. )

Regards,
Hans (Locarno)

Locarno
29.09.2010, 19:15
2 bad there was no response today. I continued testing and found out that the manual override, in the sub menu Socket functions, only works for 2 or 3 times, in depending of what kind of action, and then program crashes. To test further I put the comp ability of the program on a XP machine but that also did not change a thing. The drivers are ok, the cable is ok, the PC is ok, so whats left ??? I am afraid that the software is not capable running on a more up to date PC like Windows 7 / 64 bit machine.

It seems now that the RS232 port is not working anymore because a USB board is placed in the Profilux. Is this correct ???? In other words, would it be an option to remove this USB module and go back using the RS232 port on a XP machine ???

Regards,
Hans (Locarno)

Mathias-Steffen
30.09.2010, 07:16
We tested this again here on a Win7 64Bit Machine with Prolific - USB - Driver, but here everything works...

Is 4m the shortest USB Cable you have?
Do you have other programs running, who could disturb communication on the usb port?

The RS232 Port should be working still if you built in a USB Card in your ProfiLux...

Locarno
30.09.2010, 16:38
Today I spent whole day analysing the problem, not able to control items in the manual mode without having a system crash in the menu’s :
Light scenarios / Activate manual illumination
Illumination overview / test light scenes
System / socket functions / activate manual override

I disassemble the computer, put the PC near the tank and disconnected all other stuff like Internet, printer etc. and used the original 3m cable.
I unplugged all lamps from the Powerbar STDL4—4-D and 4 LF-ABOX.
The Pc and the Profilux with one Powerbar STDL4—4-D and 4 LF-ABOX are working fine without any failed transmissions (showed in the communication monitor).
Then I plugged in each light plug one by one. (L1, L2, L3 L4, S1, S2)
As soon as I plugged in the light connected to the S1, testing leaded to a system crach
As soon as I plugged in the light connected to the L3, testing leaded to a system crach
Leaving these two out the system, all others performed fine in manual mode.

I plugged into S1 temporally an other light ball 25 watt. This created, the same problem and therefore the problem is not generated by the lamp but has something to do with socket S1.

Conclusion / question :
What could be wrong with these two light sets connected to L3 and S1 ????????????????????
What kind of information do you need to help me solving this problem ?
I do have the feeling that the Profilux Plus II is not stable enough to handling these on/off power dips and therefore the system crashes. Could that be the reason ?

Regards,
Hans

Matthias
30.09.2010, 18:09
I think these power dips are exactly the problem, the switching of the connected devices causes spikes which influence the communication.

Could you connect the AC/DC-adaptor to your notebook? In most cases the grounding of the notebook eliminates this problem.

TheManicFishkeeper
02.10.2010, 01:01
Corrected myself after re-reading this post. Disregard.

Locarno
02.10.2010, 22:48
I will remove the USB port from the Profilux and will build a serial port into my PC. This because my PC has no serial port yet. then I will use the serial interface instead of the USB interfase.
This will take a few days. After testing I will be back to tell the outcome of this change.

regards,
Hans

Locarno
03.10.2010, 23:01
Started with a laptop on XP and the serial port on my Profilux Plus II, this all worked well.
I put in your USB port on the Profilux, tried to connect with PC Windows 7 and got problems.
So now I removed the USB port, went back to my portable PC / Windows XP and now I cant connect any more.
I am getting very **********.
If I reset my Profilux, I will loose all settings with no guarantee that I can connect using the RS232.

What do you suggest / recommend ?

Matthias
04.10.2010, 08:09
these are not enough details to help you, what shall we answer to
tried to connect with PC Windows 7 and got problems?

I guess the serial settings either in Windows or in ProfiLuxControl are not correct, but we need more information to check this, e.g. detailled description of the symptoms and screenshots with the relevant settings

but before moving on in this thread do me a favour and use the search function in this forum, topic USB has been discussed endless times

Locarno
04.10.2010, 19:14
Now I did remove the USB port from my Profilux and restarted to use the serial port on a Windows 7 machine, I had to change the device number direct on the Profilux back to 1.
After changing this number directly on the Profilux everything is working on Windows 7 using the serial port.
I asked to measure the USB port at work, but it seems that this interface is far to fragile for these power dips on the network, specially with the old type of lamps using a starter.

CONCLUSION

Changing the device number on the Profilux established the connection
USB is not completely usable. It will work but not all handlings will be go smoothly

I will try now to extend my serial cable, because my PC is not placed in my tank !!

Thank for the patience, to me this issue is closed.

Regards,
Hans