PDA

View Full Version : Optimal System requirements for Profilux Control software?

stealle
28.12.2009, 17:01
I am going to purchase a laptop for the Profilux Control software for the Profilux 3.

What are the optimal system requirements for Profilux Control software for Profilux 3? i.e. CPU/RAM. Also, should the laptop have any particular hardware for any features that might be released on the near future (1-2 years)?

dr.dotti
28.12.2009, 17:10
I would buy one with an RS232 interface :-)

stealle
28.12.2009, 17:35
I would buy one with an RS232 interface :-)

I am actually not very familiar with RS232. Is that how the Profilux 3 connects to an external computer? I just did a quick search and it sounds like RS232 has pretty much been replased by USB. Is R232 still a common port on laptops?

stealle
28.12.2009, 17:58
Ijust looked at the Profilux 3 user manual. It says you can connect the Profilux 3 to an external computer by using RS232, USB, or Ethernet. Most laptops these day have USB and Ethernet, but NOT RS232. What is the advantage to having RS232?

aqua_digital
28.12.2009, 18:18
There is no optimal PC system for a ProfiLux as long as you dont go and buy an old second hand steam powered dumpster :p

ProfiLux 3 has 5 connection possibilities

USB - Now a standard feature on ProfiLux and PC's and laptops.

LAN - great for networking your controller to your home network and beyond and to get access to the onboard server. Unless doing firmware updates (which you can not over LAN as yet) this is what you really should be connected with.

Wireless - Go buy a wireless games controller and hook this up to the ethernet (LAN) port on the ProfiLux and you can have wireless access to your Profilux over your home wireless network.

RS232 - this is now only of use for PC connection when all else fails in regards to firmware updates, however if you find a laptop or pc with a native RS232 connection now, well you wont is the real answer

RS232 to USB adapter - This is to get over the issue above but buy the most expensive one you can find as the streets are littered with junk adapters.

stealle
28.12.2009, 18:58
Thanks for the info. I think I would like to go the wireless route. Can you do everything with wireless LAN that you can do with wired Ethernet/LAN?

aqua_digital
28.12.2009, 18:59
HI

Yes you can.

stealle
28.12.2009, 19:03
Also would there be any conflict running Profilix Control software on several computers on the wireless network? ie if you made a change on one computer would it reflect on the others?

aqua_digital
28.12.2009, 19:14
the changed settings are saved onto the profiLux so once you connect no matter what PC you are on you will get to see all your settings