PDA

View Full Version : USB connector repair

monkeyboy
27.10.2015, 21:20
Hi. I have 2 miteas 6100hv. Whilst I had one of the lamps plugged in to the laptop with the USB lead my partner walk past the tank and caught the lead, ripping it from the lamp.

The male part that should stay in the lamp came away with lead. Now I cannot connect this lamp so I use my other lamp as the master.

Whilst trying to reduce my light out put this evening I noticed that the slave with the missing USB would not adjust with the master.

I reduced it right down to 1% and the slave stayed bright.

I did a test through 1 of the light channels reducing the colour to 0 but this time the slave done the same as the master.

I have noticed that the screen on the slave with broken USB is blank also. Not sure when this happened as this lamp is turned round with screen out of view facing into a corner

Could this all be related to the damage ? Would a reboot or something help ? Where do I send the lamp for a repair ?

Vinny
28.10.2015, 16:38
Hi,

Can you please post a few pictures? Opening up the light may be necessary to get a good view of what is going on.

Also, restart the light and see if the screen turns on. It may have gotten disconnected from the board when the USB cable was pulled.

monkeyboy
29.10.2015, 00:00
Restarting the light doesn't help.

Here is a pic of the USB part that got pulled from the light.78727873

Matthias
30.10.2015, 09:19
this looks really bad - the pictures show heavy corrosion of the USB port

I guess the front PCB (where this socket is connected) doesn't look much better

I hope the inside of the lamp, especially the main board, does look better, otherwise it is only a matter of time when the lamp will fail completely

if the other components are still Ok then a replacement of the front board would cure this issue

But: find the reason why the lamp is in such a bad condition - either splash water, too high condensing humidity, water dripping from above on the top, etc.
-> this must be solved first

monkeyboy
31.10.2015, 19:09
The lamp came with a second-hand system so the damage was from the previous owner.

I purchased a new second lamp as I upgraded his 90cm to a 120cm which I now use as the master

I will take off the end panels and inspect the boards. If the board is corroded does it have to be sent away or is the replacement plug and play ?

Thanks

monkeyboy
31.10.2015, 20:27
Here is a picture of the end board where the USB has been pulled off.

I have give the light a good clean up removed a lot of dust from the fans, heatsink and acrylic cover.

There is no corrosion anywhere inside

Matthias
01.11.2015, 09:24
the board is just replaced, no exchange, can be ordered as a spare part